I have a world map using the WGS 84 projection. I can reproject it as Miller, Robinson, or other projections, but when I use Natural Earth I or II, the map disappears. I'm applying this through Project > Properties > CRS. What am I doing wrong? Using QGIS 3.20 on a Mac.

It's a shapefile. I've attached images of the before and after I apply the change. I've tried all of the Natural Earth choices, and I get the same result.enter image description here

enter image description here

I've added a screenshot of the CRS dialog before applying the transformation. After I apply it, the main window is blank. If I Ziim to Layer, the window remains blank.

enter image description here

  • 3
    In which format your world map is, is it a shapefile or WMS? Can you please add some additional information as well as graphics. Are you using 'World_Natural_Earth' or 'Sphere_Natural_Earth'?
    – Taras
    Nov 19, 2021 at 6:54
  • Did you right-click on the layer / Zoom to layer? What happens?
    – Babel
    Nov 20, 2021 at 21:40
  • @Babel, nothings happens. It tried it also. There is no geometry shown even though the attribute table is full.
    – Taras
    Nov 21, 2021 at 17:01
  • how did you transform the data?
    – nmtoken
    May 26, 2023 at 10:39

1 Answer 1


Your map disappears probably because of mismatch of project CRS and your map's CRS.

To reproject a layer into a different projection, you have to use one of the following:

  • Vector > Data Management Tools > Reproject Layer...
  • Raster > Projections > Warp (Reproject)...
  • No, this is QGIS, not ArcMap. QGIS has on the fly reprojection of layers to the project CRS Nov 14, 2023 at 22:07
  • @bugmenot123 Having worked with a lot of layers in QGIS, I don't think so.
    – Hieu Van
    Nov 15, 2023 at 23:04
  • Are you using QGIS 2.x or something ? Nov 16, 2023 at 7:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.