I am interested in the pros and cons of various spatial ETL (extract, transform, load) tools. If you have used the items listed here (or add your own), I seek your opinions and experiences. In particular I would like to see usability comparisons of:
- Safe Software FME (proprietary)
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension (proprietary, subset of FME features)
- Talend Spatial extension (previously Spatial Data Integrator) (open source)
- GeoKettle (open source)
- ogr2ogr (I don't know that it is truly ETL, but more of a file translation toolset)
- Any additional lot listed
There is no need to give a review of ALL software mentioned. If you are experienced with even one then that will be very beneficial in making a decision about which direction to go.
Example: I am looking to create a schema conversion function that will allow me to select the input layer, create a translation, and output to a new, pre-defined schema. Optimally, after creating the translation script, I would like to have an interactive form where I can "map" fields in my input layer to the output layer (ie- The output layer will have a field called "Address", what is it called in the input layer?)
Some were mentioned in the Q&A at What tools are available for uploading gis data to a database?
And here are a couple of related articles that I found.