We are starting to build up a database with PostGIS. The database is supposed to be for a team of about 5-8 researches who work frequently with geodata and statistics.
Has anybody experience with naming conventions when setting up a database?
some important things I already figured out are:
- use only lowercase
- use_underscores not spaces
- don't use special characters like ä,é, etc
- only use one language (might seem trivial but we are international)
- name tables and columns always in singular
- find a standardized way to name the objects in the database i.e. topic_year_source_format
Especially the last point is tricky. Storing my own data i recognized that sometimes you'll get enormous names. So would it be bether to store this information in a metadata that is easy accessible instead of making these huge names that can be quite annoying.