I am interested in publishing a GML file as a WFS. I don't want to use a database like PostgreSQL. What would be the rough steps I need to do for that? I like to use open source software (geoserver). I don't have much experience. I am just looking for a rough guide what kind of software I should look into and which step follows which step..

  • 1
    It would be helpful if you can expand upon what you know so far, what you've looked for, any promising leads you have, etc. It will give people a better idea how to help you out. – Jay Guarneri Feb 27 '13 at 20:38
  • 1
    Typically you wouldn't hold the data to be provided in a WFS as GML in GML, you would store the data in database. Then you configure the WFS service to provide the GML. – nmtoken May 27 '18 at 8:03

As geoserver is fully compliant to WFS, including the "Transactional WFS" level of service. You can provide a running instance with GML to write to its storage with any WFS-T client. More info about this capability of geoserver is available here:


If you need an open source WFS-T ETL tool, you can use the current daily builds of HALE 3.0.0 (the release version of 2.9.0 doesn't yet have this capability):



I good tutorial on how to set up a wfs in GeoServer can be found here: http://www.gistutor.com/geoserver/11-beginner-geoserver-tutorials/36-setting-up-a-wfs-in-geoserver-using-a-shapefile.html

The steps are for a shapefile. However I assume they are very similiar for a GML File.

  • The link does not provide instructions for how to enable WFS. – artwork21 Mar 4 '15 at 13:14
  • Yeah it does. At the bottom it says: "Your shapefile is now set up for use as a WFS. To preview your layer, click on “Layer Preview..." – ustroetz Mar 4 '15 at 14:34
  • Once you create a workspace you have to edit it and check the WFS checkbox for it to be enabled. – artwork21 Mar 4 '15 at 16:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.