I'm pretty new to QGIS and having a bit of trouble getting a text layer to match my shapefile. I'm trying to plot Canadian cities on a shapefile I have of Canada provinces.
The provinces shapefile is from: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/access_acces/alternative_alternatif.action?l=eng&dispext=zip&teng=gpr_000b11a_e.zip&k=%20%20%20%2040968&loc=http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/geo/bound-limit/files-fichiers/gpr_000b11a_e.zip
and the city data I got from: geocoder.ca under there free data downloads.
I tried reading a few articles on this and enabled on the fly CRS transformation. Looking at the provinces shapefile for the metadata it says:
In layer spatial reference system units : xMin,yMin -141.018,41.6814 : xMax,yMax -52.6194,83.1355 Layer Spatial Reference System: +proj=longlat +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +no_defs
When I plotted the city file I choose to project it using WGS 84.
In layer spatial reference system units : xMin,yMin 0,0 : xMax,yMax 140.87,76.4935 Layer Spatial Reference System: +proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +no_defs
and unfortunately my city data doesn't look plotted right. It looked mirrored and there is a point that is way off (guessing the data is wrong). Not sure why it would be mirrored though.
Since I don't have the rep yet to post images I uploaded an image of what my output looks to skydrive: http://sdrv.ms/YV2Whl