If I was reading the purpose of this stackexchange site right, I could also ask general map questions. Not necessarily regarding software.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could inform me what this blue line indicates on this topo map image. I understand the circular line with the ticks indicates a lower elevation, possible sinkhole-like, but I don't know what that blue line is.

Also, does that line with the Xs through it normally indicate a fence?

enter image description here

If it matters at all, this is a map image from an ESRI powered site.

EDIT: Here is a link http://www.kgis.org/KGISMaps/map.htm?map=topography&box=2540262:579354:2540837:579771

  • Welcome to gis.SE. Certainly non-software-specific questions are welcome here. Sometimes mapping conventions are local to an area or organisation, so if you can edit your question to add anything that might indicate the source of the original map, that might allow us to provide a better answer. – BradHards Apr 7 '13 at 1:06
  • 3
    sorry the website the link goes to doesn't appear to be working – Banger Apr 7 '13 at 2:26
  • 1
    Well, don't see either of those symbols in the USGS map symbols docs. – Chad Cooper Apr 7 '13 at 2:46
  • 1
    There's a button that lets you bring up the same view in Google Maps. In satellite view there is nothing apparent on the ground that corresponds to the blue line (or the brown line with tick marks, for that matter.) As far as I can tell, the map server has no way to provide a legend, either. I'm guessing these symbols are specific to the KGIS system and represent some sort of land-use restrictions, such a pooling areas for water, though the slope of the ground makes that explanation dubious. – Llaves Apr 7 '13 at 2:59
  • 1
    The official topo maps for the citu in which I live are made in AutoCAD and in these maps the line with the Xs is a fence. Not sure about the blue line but since this is almost certainly an AutoCAD map you might want to look at some autocad topographic symbology standards. – Jakub Sisak GeoGraphics Apr 10 '13 at 3:07

It is. My opinion that these are flood control structures. Berms if-you-will?
Here they are used as impervious (paved) runoff holding ponds along and near water tracks.
Probably considered man made berm or control structure.

| improve this answer | |
  • You are correct. I contacted them earlier and that is what it was. – Justin May 20 '13 at 11:46

Clicking on the "legend" button on this map and scrolling reveals the line represents a "dam".


| improve this answer | |

the blue line means its under water

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    Are you able to provide a reference for that, or is it just your opinion? – PolyGeo Oct 9 '13 at 3:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.