I have some tiff files and I'm trying to generate a vrt index with gdal tool, gdalbuildvrt.

I run this command:

gdalbuildvrt orto_index.vrt -srcnodata "0 0 0" -vrtnodata "0 0 0" *.tif

and throws the next warning:

Warning 6: gdalbuildvrt does not support rotated geo transforms.
Skipping 2335-C.tif

So there are some tiff that are skipped.

If we compare the information about a skipped file with another that it has not skipped, we could see the next difference:

In the skipped file, we can see the next line:

GeoTransform =
  345770.7884398972, 0.6000000238418568, 3.473043927400512e-15
  6139634.558238117, 1.757016748640284e-14, -0.6000000238417672

In the non skipped file, the other one:

Origin = (223499.236031105130678,6213152.835421450436115)
Pixel Size = (0.600000023841858,-0.600000023841858)

How can I make to get a vrt file including all files, I mean, without skip some files?


The key line is

Warning 6: gdalbuildvrt does not support rotated geo transforms. Skipping 2335-C.tif

You need to convert the tiffs that have rotated geo transforms to not have them. I suspect that it's a projection issue but without more knowledge of the history of your files can't be sure.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer, I think you're right but I don't have the original tiles, the tiles that I have, have already been rotated and I don't know how to return back and disable this rotation. – moiarcsan Jun 26 '13 at 14:36

What you need to do is to convert that problematic tiff with gdalwarp. The command is like

gdalwarp -of GTiff -co tiled=yes -dstnodata 0 2335-C.tif 2335-C-warped.tif

Remove the original tif from the directory, rename the warped file if you wish and gdalbuildvrt should be successful.

| improve this answer | |
  • note that the proper option is "-dstnodata" NOT "-dstnodate" – grad student Oct 13 '17 at 17:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.