I have imported an excel spreadsheet to my map and the points have fallen into certain locations. How do I add the location of the polygon that the point has landed in, to the attributes table of the point without hand jamming it all in one point at a time? For instance a table full of school locations has no county data in the table. How would I add the county to the schools attribute table?
Use a Spatial Join with the school points and county polygons loaded in ArcMap.
- right-click the schools layer, highlight Joins & Relates, and click Join
- choose Join data from another layer based on spatial location
- the Layer to Join is your county layer
- each point should be given the attributes of the polygon that it falls inside
- specify an output shapefile or feature class name and click OK
- add the new layer to the map and examine its attributes to see which county each school lies in
I believe you can simply use "intersect" function in ArcGIS. Simply by intersecting your polygon layer with your DMS point layer