Is there a marker available anywhere for point pattern fill that resembles the standard wetlands symbol used in USGS topographic and other maps? Any good standard symbol that will be intuitively recognized as wetlands?

  • You want to symbolize a polygon layer, right (point pattern fill)? – artwork21 Sep 4 '13 at 11:27
  • Yes, Artwork. That's right. – TVZ Sep 4 '13 at 11:49

Have a look at the OSGeo map symbol set list:


they list a bunch of resources where you can find symbols that are free to use. There is also a link to the USGS topo symbols. If you come on a day when there is no government shut down you might find what you are looking for there or browse the other lists from OSGeo.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks Chris. I think I'll see what USGS has when they reopen. – TVZ Oct 9 '13 at 10:10

You can try this:

  1. Install free photo editor app such as GIMP
  2. Install SVG plugin
  3. Find a free image web site showing a wetland symbol and take a screen capture of it
  4. Open GIMP paste in screen capture crop image and export to SVG
  5. In QGIS go to your wetland layer properties>Style>Change, select SVG fill for Symbol layer type and browse for your saved wetland SVG
| improve this answer | |
  • Or you could find an existing SVG symbol (e.g. sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/contactsheet) and use it. If you need to edit it, you could try Inkscape or the SVG Plugin for GIMP at artwork21 suggested. – Darren Cope Sep 5 '13 at 12:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.