Here's my workflow:
- create a file geodatabase containing lots of data
- create an MXD to display this data
- > File > Share As > Service within ArcMap
- publish to ArcGIS Online*
- the dataset and its definitions are uploaded to ArcGIS.com
This is all working fine, and I can access the features via a feature layer in the JSAPI. In the background, ArcGIS Online creates Service Definition and Features entries under My Content.
I've now updated the symbology in the MXD. How can I get the new symbology definition into ArcGIS Online?
- One option is to delete the existing service and recreate it - but this involves uploading the large dataset again, even though there are no changes to the data.
- I tried > Share > Save A Service Definition but this fails since the service already exists (even if I delete the existing Service Definition while retaining the existing Feature service)
- ArcMap tells me to Overwrite the existing service, but won't this re-upload the data?
*aka ArcGIS.com aka ArcGIS for Organisations aka AGOL