I have more than 50,000 LatLng coordinates defined under SWREFF99 1800 projection. I want to know, is it possible to convert these coordinates into a point shapefile ? if yes, then how can I do this ?


You can use GDAL and the ogr2ogr command line utility, but first you need to create a VRT driver.

For example (as suggested in the GDAL doc):

(test csv)

48.1,0.25,"First point"
49.2,1.1,"Second point"
47.5,0.75,"Third point"

This is your vrt driver:


    <OGRVRTLayer name="test">
        <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="Longitude" y="Latitude"/>

Finally use ogr2ogr to convert your test.vrt in a shapefile:

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" output.shp test.vrt
| improve this answer | |
  • btw, I believe that the QGIS plugin (Delimited test) is based on the ogr2ogr utility used with the vrt driver like in my sample (in other words QGIS acts as a GUI to the ogr2ogr command) – capooti Mar 24 '11 at 14:43

With Qgis, you can import your coordinates with the Delimited text plugin.

| improve this answer | |
  • you beat me to it by 23 seconds and you actually found the plugin.. nice work :-) – Glenn Mar 24 '11 at 14:26
  • 1
    hehe ;-) you still deserve an upvote! – simo Mar 24 '11 at 14:40

If you are using ArcGIS, use the Make XY Event Table tool . To persist the output of that tool to a shpfile/gdb, see the second bullet in the tool doc.

| improve this answer | |

My goto place for oddball conversions like this is the opensource tools at either

QGIS http://www.qgis.org/


MapWindow http://www.mapwindow.org/

My guess is there will be a "vector" plugin to do what you want at one of those two. I would try QGIS first because their plugins are less buggy.

| improve this answer | |

Easy done in MapInfo Professional too by create points from XY, set your coordsys and output as a shapefile.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.