For my high resolution 3D views I have used BLENDER which is a great 3D open source tool.
It is possible to add height-maps and extrude your map which you want to have in 3D.
- In Blender activate the "image as plane" addon.
- Then you add the image of your map.
- Add a new texture and select your height map.
- Add modifiers you need. For me subdivision surface, displace and smooth
did it. At displace modifier you select your height map and choose
- On left side (object tools) you also need to click on
You can also set light sources to your scene and generate fly through videos.
There are a lot of tutorials for doing so. Just check them out.
It took me a few days to learn it. There is a great community behind it and a lot of tutorials.
You can export your scene with different rendering settings.