I am trying to edit a point shapefile in QGIS and I have editing on for that layer. I have added a new column for the custom data, I have set it to text and have 8 characters allowed in the column, but every time I save and toggle editing off all of the values go back to null.
There may be something weird with the shapefile, in case
QGIS have write access on this file.
In this case, I have two ideas for you:
1) To diagnosticate the shapefile for anomalies, using the shp_doctor tool.
If you are on Windows and you don't want to loose time with the shp_doctor compilation from sources, then you may download a working executable, tested for viruses, from here. (Press the yellow button - Download now, File Size: 567.1 kb)
Below is such a test, with a healthy file, but I'm expecting in your case, to see a hint for your shapefile bad behaviour:
2) I think this is the quick-and-dirty way to solve your problem, regardless of the cause of errors (I hope not to be wrong!):
- open up the attribute table of your weird shapefile;
- select only those healthy point features, omitting those with
- right click the layer name and choose
Save Selection As...;
ESRI Shapefileas Format;
- choose a
locationfor the new, healty layer;
Add saved file to mapand press Ok.
Now, working with the new point layer should be smooth!