I'm dealing with spatial interpolation methods, in particular with the weighted moving average. I come across really oft with a term "duck egg patterns" which are caused by isolated data points.

Does any one has an idea what do they mean. What do duck eggs look alike? (not different as any other egg.....).

  • Can you provide a link to where you have come across this term ?
    – PolyGeo
    Commented Feb 24, 2014 at 20:04

1 Answer 1


If you follow this link you will see some duck eggs. Even if in this case it comes from inverse distance weight and not from weighted moving average. It is quite common with those two interpolation methods.

You have ellipse or circles around your isolated point, which are different from the background and therefore very visible. This is necessary the case when the neighborhood only includes one point: the elliptic shape will occur when you still have a small influence from far away neighbours, and the circle when there is nothing else around.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.