We have been happily using the 2010 Census Demographic Profile data in Shapefile format for some time. We now want to start using the ACS 5-year Estimates Data Profiles which, sadly, are only available in Geodatabase formats.

What's the best solution?

Do I bite the bullet and buy some version of ArcGIS, are there any services that can convert the files for me or is there some conversion program I can purchase?

Note that I am not a GIS specialist. I've learned enough to do what I want with the 2010 Census demographic shapefiles, but this is not the main focus of my website.

I seek recommendations and advice.

closed as too broad by PolyGeo Oct 15 at 12:55

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Which software are you using so far? – underdark Mar 28 '14 at 17:57
  • Is this data in File Geodatabase (.gdb) or Personal Geodatabase (.mdb) format? – PolyGeo Mar 28 '14 at 21:55
  • If your data is in file geodatabase format, you might try GDB Flee to convert it. – Chad Cooper Mar 29 '14 at 11:58

I would consider two options:

  1. Get ArcGIS Explorer. It is a lightweight ESRI GIS Viewer and offered for free. Since it is by ESRI, you will get file geodatabase support. I don't have much experience with it, but it should offer the ability to export the data in another format.http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer

  2. Get QGIS, an open source and powerful product and install an add-on for .gdb support. Here is the article: File Geodatabase (*.gdb) support in QGIS?

ArcGIS Explorer might be the easiest and offer the best support for .gdb... since it is an ESRI technology.

  • 1
    Can anybody confirm that Explorer lets you export data to a different format? – underdark Mar 29 '14 at 11:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.