I want to measure fracture in an area.I know I have to use cut and fill tool. But I wonder how to give input for this tool? it has Input before raster surface and Input after raster surface ! what shall I enter for these 2 options?like the image below.

enter image description here

  • If the offered Answer does not provide all the information that you need, you may want to edit your Question to provide more details about precisely what you are asking. For example, the term "fracture" in the context you are using it may not be familiar to a large portion of potential answerers so may be best defines and/or illustrated. – PolyGeo Mar 31 '14 at 21:15

The Cut Fill tool is designed to show volume change, so you need to have a "before" raster (what the elevation surface was before fracture occurred) and an "after" raster (what the elevation surface is after fracture, or what it is now).

The elevation surface (also known as DEM) for the two different time periods can be made manually using a topo contour map, or digitally using LiDAR, but the method of finding/creating DEMs is probably outside the scope of this particular question.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ok, but I don't know how to make these layers? like before raster and after raster! I don't know how to fill the fractures ? – user28541 Mar 31 '14 at 14:52
  • They are both DEM layers (typically). If you're trying to actually fill fractures then that's a different operation -- measuring the Sink then using the Fill tool maybe? Cut Fill may not be the best way to do this, if you don't already have a before/after; I can't think of an alternative off the top of my head, though. – Erica Mar 31 '14 at 15:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.