In the frame of a field campaign for land cover mapping, we try to develop an App which allows for the collection of points on a base map and fill a set of attributes. So far, our best solution is to use ArcGIS Collector because we often need to work offline. Using the domain, the attribute table is filled with pre-encoded values.
The problem is that we have a hierarchical legend with three levels. There are less than ten items at the first legend, then around 25 at the second level and more than 50 at the third. The drop down list is therefore very long at the third level, and if everything is possible we could have inconsistent labels between two levels. (e.g. grassland then cereals instead of grassland then graminaceous plant).
So, the question is : how can we filter the lists proposed to the field collector based on his previous choices ? In other words, how can we adapt the domain to the values of another field.
For instance, after selecting "forest" in the first drop down list, a new drop down list should be available with only "mixed forest", "broadleaved forest" and "needleleaved forest".
EDIT: there was already an ArcGIS Idea on this topic, so the question probably doesn't have a built in solution. Any workaround with ArcGIS or similar capabilities to ArcGIS collector with another app would be worth the bounty (as long as it works). To sum up, here are the main features :
1) provide a base map (high resolution image)
2) works offline (GPS but no Internet)
3) point capture tool with colour symbol
4) when a choice has been made based on a drop down list for the first field, a second drop down list becomes available conditionnally to the first choice, then a third drop down list becomes available conditionnally to the second choice
5) If possible not specific to a single mobile device
I can already do 1,2,3, and 5 with arcgiscollector. So my question is: how to get conditional drop down list (point 4).