What is correct name of texture and/or projection, which is suitable for 3D engines?

I want to apply world map to 3D sphere, but a variety of images found by Google makes me thinks that some of them are incorrect.

I imagine an image of size proportional to 360 x 180 (number of latitude and longitude degrees on the globe). What is the name of this projection?

I don't see this projection here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection because grid should be equi-quadri-lateral on it.

  • 1
    To map a globe properly you can't use a projection at all. What you want is geographical coordinates, like WGS84. As for a texture that covers that SRTM might serve www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm it's elevation raster. The cells aren't measured in feet or metres they are in arcseconds of the earths' surface. I think that's the question you're asking, it's hard to tell. May 17, 2014 at 11:01

1 Answer 1


The projection you describe has many names: equirectangular, simple cylindrical, equidistant cylindrical, plate carrée, etc. See wikipedia's Equirectangular Projection.

Whether this is suitable for use in "3D engines" would require more knowledge of such software.

  • If you have some interesting equirectangular maps of the world and wish to render them as though they were globes, you might benefit from continuing along the lines of your question. However, you might get better advice if you provide clearer context on your problem: what are you starting with, what should you end up with, what software do you expect to use, etc.
    – Martin F
    May 20, 2014 at 18:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.