I have a shapefile containing points. I'd like to replace each point by the same shape, centered around the point, like the "Buffer" tool with shapes other than circles. How can I do that?

  • what type of shape? square? something else?
    – user681
    May 21 '14 at 9:29
  • What I had in mind was a rotated square. But I suppose that if you can do it with a rotated square, you should be able to do it with any shape, right?
    – F.X.
    May 21 '14 at 9:34
  • do you need the rotated square for cartographic purpose or to do some GIS analysis ?
    – geogeek
    May 22 '14 at 10:15
  • GIS analysis. The squares correspond to parallel lines on the ground, which are not necessarily oriented North-South.
    – F.X.
    May 22 '14 at 11:11

After more than 3 years, we have various options, but let me suggest Shape Tools.

One option is N-sided polygon, which I used to create a rotated square as below.

enter image description here

  • 1
    Thanks for letting us know, that sounds like a great solution!
    – F.X.
    Apr 13 '18 at 15:41
  • @F.X. Thank you! Honestly I was surprised receiving so quick response.
    – Kazuhito
    Apr 13 '18 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.