I would like to convert a column in a spreadsheet from a double to a string so I can join the data with a shp file. What is the easiest way to do it?
To do this in ArcGIS:
- Import spreadsheet to Geodatabase (Import Table)
- Add a new field to table (change type to text)
- Open ArcMap and add table to TOC
- Right click on the new field's column header and select "Field Calculator"
- Scroll down the field list to find your "double" source field
- double click the field (should appear in the bottom pane)
- click OK to populate column with values
I am suggesting to do this in ArcGIS because I think you want to use this field as a "join"? If so, add the shapefile to ArcMap, right click on the layer and select "Joins and Relates".
Microsoft has a page dedicated to this with a range of solutions: