Nothing specific is jumping out to me, so I'm going to list a few solutions I find can help when encountering odd ArcObjects errors:
Are you running your code in a Single Threaded Apartment (STA) thread? If not try creating a new Thread and settings the apartment state to STA and executing your code on that thread.
Set 'Embed Interop Types' for all Esri ...
While I'm not familiar with the C#/.NET bindings for GDAL, the library usually divides raster and vector functionality in different namespaces:
GDAL (Geospatial Data Abstraction Library) for
OGR (OpenGIS Simple Feature Reference) for vector data
I assume you need to use the appropriate Open function within the OGR namespace, as you confirmed in ...
So it looks like i was able to get around my issue by replacing any occurance i had of
where 'ToWKT' is just an extension method i made below. keeping my sql/not sql options open with the second parameter too.:
public static string ToWKT(this NetTopologySuite.Geometries.Geometry geom, bool forSQL = true)