I'm familiar with these terms used by ESRI:
- Stores visual properties (color, symbols,…)
- does not store data (attributes, coordinates)
- links to a Feature Class (or raster data)
- a spatial dataset (attributes, coordinates)
- collections of points, lines, or polygons and their attributes
- no symbols (color, …)
- e.g. stored as shapefile on disk or feature class in a geodatabase
Exist for them terms that can be used for (nearly) all GIS (independent of the manufacturer)?
I think "layer" can be used for all GIS. But "Feature Class"?
I need the terms because I want to describe the functionality of a GIS independently of a manufacturer.