The following two conventions for defining direction are very common, but what are they called?

  • 0 at north, clockwise
  • 0 at positive x-axis, counterclockwise

Background: I'm writing a function that converts direction from one convention to the other, and struggle to come up with a good and clear name for it.

  • 2
    I'd use "bearing" and "angle", respectively, but I suspect this is more of an opinion than an Answer.
    – Vince
    Sep 19 at 16:40
  • For the first, "azimuth" can also be used. The second is more a convention from mathematics / trigonometry I suppose - not so common in mapping.
    – julien
    Sep 19 at 18:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.