The issue to this problem was the Arc 10.4 python 2.7 32 bit environment. The arcpy.GeocodeAddresses_geocoding function runs on the Arc 10.4 2.7 64 bit background processing (there are a few other functions that run on 64 bit background processing).
To solve this I installed the C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.4 background processing python package on my machine ...
Let me link to some blog posts I wrote about that:
Importing BANO dataset with Logstash
Using Logstash to lookup for addresses in BANO index
Using Logstash to enrich an existing dataset with BANO
I gave a demo of this during a talk recently. Here is the link to the source code I used for that: https://github.com/dadoonet/bano-elastic/
Hope this helps.